Alna
Lincoln County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 17 February 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Alna, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. East Alna post office operated from 17 October 1828 until 13 March 1829.
2. Head Tide post office operated from 30 December 1884 until 31 March 1954.
3. New Milford post office was established on 23 June 1796 and on 1 April 1811 was renamed as Alna post office, which is still operating.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Alna: Alna and Head Tide. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Alna include:
Alna
East Alna
Head Tide
New Milford



Alna


1811 April 1:
   The former New Milford post office was renamed as Alna post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1991 April 6:
   The postmark is 31–33 mm long. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

today:
   Alna post office is still in operation.


Head Tide


1884 December 30:
   Head Tide post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1950 February 11:
   The postmark is approximately 32 mm long. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1954 March 31:
   Head Tide post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)