Saint George Postal History
Knox County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 2 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Saint George include:
Clark Island
Clark Island Rur Sta. Spruce Head
Elmore
Glenmere
Longcove
Martinsville
Port Clyde
Saint George
South Saint George
Tenants Harbor
Turkey



Clark Island


1884 June 5:
   Clark Island post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1949 October 26 through 1950 April 22:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
         

1961 May 26:
   Clark Island post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Glenmere


1892 December 21:
   Glenmere post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1931 July 10:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1942 November 14:
   Glenmere post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Port Clyde


1880 February 3:
   Port Clyde post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1948 December 3 through 1950 December:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
         

2020:
   Port Clyde post office 2020. 860 Port Clyde Road; Port Clyde, Maine  04855. Lat./Long.: N 43°55′38″ x W 69°15′26″
      

today:
   Port Clyde post office is still in operation.


Saint George


1828 February 8:
   Saint George post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1903 September 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 18 mm in diameter.
      

1933 May 30:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      

1937 December 20:
   The circular postmark is approximatelu 34 mm in diameter.
      

1991 November 29:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter; the inner, 20–21 mm.
      

1993 May:
   Saint George post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Tenants Harbor


1853 September 15:
   Tenants Harbor post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

2020:
   Tenants Harbor post office. 4 Main Street; Tenants Harbor  04860. Lat./Long.: N 43°58′02″ x W 69°12′28″
      

today:
   Tenants Harbor post office is still operating.