Cushing
Knox County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 2 June 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and Roland Simard.



During the history of the town of Cushing, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Cushing (1) post office operated from 2 July 1834 to 31 December 1911.
2. North Cushing operated from 21 January 1888 to 15 September 1910.
3. Pleasant Point post office was established on 13 May 1889. It was renamed on 23 June 1973 as Cushing (2) post office, which is still in operation.
4. South Cushing post office operated from 6 February 1885 to 2 December 1944.

In 1914 there were two post offices in Cushing: Pleasant Point and South Cushing. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Cushing include:
Cushing (1)
Cushing (2)
North Cushing
Pleasant Point
South Cushing



Cushing (1)


1834 July 2:
   Cushing (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1910 September 7:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
       Click on image to enlarge.

1911 December 31:
   Cushing (1) post office renamed as Cushing (2) post office.


Pleasant Point


1889 May 13:
   Pleasant Point post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

[1932?] December 23:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
       Click on image to enlarge.

1973 June 23:
   Pleasant Point post office renamed as Cushing (2) post office.