Camden Postal History
Knox County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 21 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Camden, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of thse three is as follows:
1. Camden post office was established on 1 October 1794 and is still in operation.
2. Goose River post office opened on 4 May 1840 and was renamed on 26 April 1852 as Rockport post office.
3. West Camden post office opened on 10 February 1834 and renamed on 4 February 1892 as West Rockport post office.


In 1914, there was only one post office in the town of Camden: Camden. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Camden include:
Camden
Goose River
West Camden



Camden


1794 October 1:
   Camden post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1851 August 28:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1]; letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1852:
   Postmaster: J. W. K. Norwood (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

year? September 4:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


year? July 17:
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1889 March 4:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1896 September 15 through 1898 June 4:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)


1907 April 12:
   The circular postmark is approximately 25 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


year? July 1:
   The straight-line postmark is approximately 20 mm wide by approximately 21 mm high.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


date?:
   Camden post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1926 October 28 through 1928 December 24:
   The circular postmark is approximately 20 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)


1931 December 28 through 1940 August 9:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)


1940 January 22:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1940 January 22:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


2020:
   Camden post office. 28 Chestnut Street; Camden, Maine 04843. Lat./Long.: N 44°12′23″ x W 69°03′52″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


today:
   Camden post office is still in operation.


Goose River


1840 May 4:
   Goose River post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1844 September 16:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1852 April 26:
   Goose River post office was renamed as Rockport Post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)