Appleton Postal History
Knox County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 3 December 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Appleton, there have been five post offices.

Briefly, the history of thse five is as follows:
1. Appleton (1) post office opened on 15 August 1821 and was renamed on 10 April 1832 as McLain’s Mills post office. McLain’s Mills post office was renamed on 26 January 1870 as Appleton (1) post office, became Appleton Rural Sta. Union on 25 November 1961, and closed on 15 January 1969.
2. Appleton (2) post office opened on 10 April 1832, closed on 18 October 1836, re-opened on 17 May 1866, and was renamed on 26 January 1870 as West Appleton post office, which closed 3 December 1965.
3. Burkettville post office opened on 3 July 1884 and closed on a date to be researched.
4. Elmwood post office opened on 17 March 1886 and closed on 30 November 1904.
5. Humphrey’s Corner post office opened on 24 March 1848 and was renamed on 4 December 1848 as North Appleton post office. This was rescinded on 31 August 1904, but North Appleton post office opened on 5 September 1904 and closed 15 March 1928.


In 1914, there were three post offices in the town of Appleton: Appleton (1), North Appleton, and West Appleton. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)

      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the town of Appleton include:
Appleton (1)
Appleton (2)
Appleton Rural Sta. Union
Burkettville
Elmwood
Humphrey's Corner
McLain's Mills
North Appleton
West Appleton



Appleton (1)


1821 August 15:
   Appleton (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1832 April 10:
   Appleton (1) post office renamed as McLain’s Mills post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1870 January 26:
   McLain’s Mills post office renamed as Appleton (1) post office reopened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Appleton (1) post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1933 August 18 through 1941 July:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The four bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1979 January 1:
   Appleton (1) post office became Appleton Rural Sta. Union. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Burkettville


1884 July 3:
   Burkettville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Burkettville post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1914 February 26:
   The circular postmark is 32–35 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1946 May 17:
   The circular postmark is 31–34 mm in diameter. The four bars to the right of the circle are a little more than 4 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Burkettville post office closed.