Kennebec County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 3 April 2019)
Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the city of Waterville, there have been four post offices.
Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Colby Sta. Waterville opened on a date to be determined by research and is still operating.
2. Waterville Sta. No. 1. is known from as early as 26 April 1934. It closed on a date to be determined by research.
3. West Waterville post office was established on 6 December 1927 and was renamed on 19 March 1883 as Oakland post office.
4. Winnslow (1) post office was established on 1 July 1796 and was renamed on 1 July 1803 as Waterville post office.
In 1914, there was only one post office in what is now Waterville: Waterville. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the city of Waterville include:
1803 July 1:
Waterville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)
The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
1987 August 12 through 1987 August 24:
The circular postmark is approximately 20 mm in diameter.
Waterville post office is still in operation.
West Waterville - Waterville
1827 December 6:
West Waterville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)
1835 July 10:
Manuscript postmark. (letter)
1883 March 19:
West Waterville post office was renamed as Oakland post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)