Readfield Postl History
Kennebec County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 19 July 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Roland Simard, and the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Readfield, there have been six post offices.

Briefly, the history of these six is as follows:
1. East Readfield post office opened on 18 February 1828, closed on 25 July 1857, re-opened on 27 November 1857, and closed on 16 December 1870.
2. Kents Hill post office opened on 11 December 1826 and is still operating.
3. Maranacook post office opened on 19 June 1891, closed on 19 January 1942, re-opened on 5 September 1942, and closed on 1 May 1957.
4. Readfield post office opened on 24 August 1797 and is still operating.
5. Readfield Depot post office opened on 19 February 1851 and closed on 18 June 1976.
6. Sanborndale post office opened on 28 May 1883 and closed on 25 March 1887.


In 1914, there were four post offices in Readfield: Kents Hill, Maranacook, Readfield. and Readfield Depot. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Readfield include:
East Readfield
Kents Hill
Maranacook
Readfield
Readfield Depot
Sanborndale



Kents Hill


1826 December 11:
   Kents Hill post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1849 November 26:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1878 March 25: [year determined from cover contents]
   The circular postmark is approximately 25 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?
   Kents Hill post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1991 February 2:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1991 February 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 22 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Kents Hill post office is still in operation.


Maranaook


1891 June 19:
   Maranacook post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1939 December 28:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1942 January 19:
   Maranacook post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1942 September 5:
   Maranacook post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1957 May 1:
   Maranacook post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Readfield


1797:
   Readfield post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1797 August 24:
   James Dalton appointed Postmaster.

1801 January 27:
   Samuel P. Glidden appointed Postmaster.

1803 August 2:
   Samuel Currier appointed Postmaster.

1829 May 13:
   James Fillebrown Jr. appointed Postmaster.

1834 February 14:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1841 June 12:
   Timothy O. Howe appointed Postmaster.

1843 July 1:
   John Lambert appointed Postmaster.

1849 September 3:
   The blue circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1850 September 16:
   Francis A. Williams appointed Postmaster.

1855 July 17:
   Place and date determined from letter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Readfield mail carrier Alphonse Wright.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Readfield post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1855 July 20:
   Moses Whittier appointed Postmaster.

1857 March 5:
   William Turner appointed Postmaster.

1861 January 18:
   Shubael P. Mears appointed Postmaster.

1861 November 16:
   Benjamin T. Richards appointed Postmaster.

1872 November 21:
   Henry C. Packard appointed Postmaster.

1877 March 12:
   Augustus R. Turner appointed Postmaster.

1878 October 3:
   Jere P. Johnson appointed Postmaster.

1885 November 13:
   Annie M. Craig appointed Postmaster.

1889 April 2:
   Emma F. Johnson appointed Postmaster.

1893 August 4:
   Alice E. Haines appointed Postmaster.

1897 July 22:
   John W. Manter appointed Postmaster.

1902 October 15:
   George C. Hunton appointed Postmaster.

1908 March 27:
   Esther E. (Hunton) Barber appointed Postmaster.

1914 May 16:
   H. Edward Sedgeley appointed Postmaster.

1922 January 18:
   Fremont A. Hunton appointed Postmaster.

1933 February 3:
   Ellsworth E. Peacock appointed Acting Postmaster.

1933 April 19:
   Harry O. Tebbetts appointed Acting Postmaster.

1934 April 20:
   Charlene F. Tebbetts appointed Postmaster.

1950 June 15:
   Charlene F. Adams appointed Postmaster.

1961 July 31:
   Paul O. Williams appointed Acting Postmaster.

1963 June 19:
   Thomas W. Adell appointed Postmaster.

1968 October 14:
   The circular postmark is 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 20 mm, and the bars are 24 mm long.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1987 July 30:
   Wayne P. Penley appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1987 October 24:
   Jessie P. Gay appointed Postmaster.

1992 September 30:
   Jane Auger appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1993 March 6:
   Michael J. Gallant appointed Postmaster.

2006 June 8:
   Jeanne C. Harris appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2007 January 10:
   Rebecca Powell appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2007 August 4:
   Jeanne C. Harris appointed Postmaster.

2010 March 25:
   Larry A. Mason Jr. appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2010 August 25:
   Mary P. Betts appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2010 December 4:
   Chris L. Weeks appointed Postmaster.

today:
   Readfield post office is still in operation.