Belgrade Postal History
Kennebec County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 2 January 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Belgrade include:
Belgrade
Dearborn
Lakeside
North Belgrade
North Belgrade Rur. Br. Oakland
North Belgrade CPO Oakland



Belgrade


1821 August 24:
   Belgrade post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1823?:
   Belgrade post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1824?:
   Belgrade post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: William Rogers. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1934 November 8:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 4 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1940 February 15:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Belgrade post office is still in operation.


North Belgrade


1840 March 21:
   The former Dearborn post office was renamed as North Belgrade post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   North Belgrade post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   North Belgrade post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1978 October 21:
   North Belgrade post office was renamed as North Belgrade Rural Branch Oakfield. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)