Albion Postal History
Kennebec County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 8 March 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Albion, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Fairfax post office was established on 1 April 1870. It was renamed on 1 April 1823 to Ligonia, which was renamed on 14 March 1825 to Albion, which is still operating.
2. McDonald post office opened on 25 June 1893 and closed on 30 August 1902.
3. South Albion post office opened on 5 March 1838, closed on 10 October 1860, re-opened on 25 October 1860, and closed on 19 August 1898.


In 1914, there was only one post office: Albion. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)

      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the town of Albion include:
Albion
Fairfax
Ligonia
McDonald
South Albion



Albion


1825 March 14:
   The former Ligonia post office was renamed as Albion post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: John Wellington. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1893 September 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1909 October 13 through 1913 July 25:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1917 January 18:
   The circular postmark is 31–l32 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1935 January 9:
   The (probably) circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1937 June 3 through 1947 February 25:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1941 September 20:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1948 October 2 through 1950 November 17:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1962 November 30:
   Donald S. Bradstreet appointed Acting Postmaster.

1965 May 25:
   Donald S. Bradstreet appointed Postmaster.

1970 March 18:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1983 August 10:
   Charlene G. Gould appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1983 August 19:
   Pauline A. Ravin appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1984 January 7:
   Leland M. Bessey appointed Postmaster.

1987 August 14:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1992 September 30:
   Debra A. Doyle appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1993 March 6:
   Hope L. Hyde appointed Postmaster.

2012 July 18:
   Deedra M. Fuller appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2021 July 26:
   Kristi Greeley appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2013 January 26:
   Todd Brown appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2013 April 6:
   Albion post office was converted to a Level 6 (6-hour) Remotely Managed Post Office under the direction of the Postmaster of the Unity post office.

2019 May 18:
   Albion post office. UTM: 19T 0465155, 4931156; Lat./Long.: N 44°31′58.4″ x W 69°26′18.8″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2019 May 18:
   The outer circle of the left-hand postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter; the inner, 21–22 mm. The circle of the right-hand postmark is 43–44 mm. The inner partial circle is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Albion post office is still in operation.