Trenton Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 27 June 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Tremont, there have been nine post offices.

Briefly, the history of these nine is as follows:
1. Bayside (1) post office opened on 7 January 1893 and closed on 14 January 1902.
2. East Trenton post office opened on 26 April 1834, closed on 12 October 1855, and re-opened on 25 March 1856. On 22 March 1870, it was renamed as Lamoine post office.
3. Goose Cove post office operated from 3 March 1898 until 14 December 1901.
4. Oakpoint post office opened on 27 November 1885 as Oak Point. The spelling changed to Oakpoint on 10 October 1894, and it closed on 14 January 1902.
5. Trenton (2) post office opened on 23 August 1810 and closed in 1822.
6. Trenton (3) post office was established on 25 Marxh 1825, and on 17 March 1835 it was renamed as West Trenton post office, which closed on 14 January 1902.
7. Trenton (4) post office opened on 21 January 1854, and on 28 February 1854, it was renamed as Trenton Point post office. Trenton Point post office was renamed on 22 March 1870 as East Lamoine post office.
8. Trenton (5) post office opened on 9 March 1882, closed on 4 August 1892, re-opened on 19 July 1893, and closed on 31 August 1896.
9. Trenton (6) post office opened on 14 July 1986, and in June 1995 it was renamed C.P.O. Ellsworth.


In 1914, there were no post offices in Trenton. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the town of Trenton include:
Bayside (1)
East Trenton
Goose Cove
Oak Point
Trenton (2)
Trenton (3)
Trenton (4)
Trenton (5)
Trenton (6)
Trenton Point
West Trenton



Bayside (1)


1893 January 7:
   Bayside (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1900 September 8:
   The circular postmark is 27.5 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1902 January 14:
   Bayside (1) post office closed.


Oak Point


1885 November 27:
   Oak Point post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1900 July 23:
   The circular postmark is 28.5 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1902 January 14:
   Oak Point post office closed.


West Trenton


1835 March 17:
   The former Trenton (3) post office was renamed as West Trenton post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1899 February 11:
   The circular postmark is 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1902 January 14:
   West Trenton post office closed.