Tremont Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Tremont, there have been 10 post offices.

Briefly, the history of these 10 is as follows:
1. Bassport post office (2 October 1889 to 18 February 1893) never opened; authorization rescinded.
2. Bernard post office opened on 26 November 1906 and is still operating.
3. Center post office operated from 11 February 1884 to 15 June 1921.
4. East Tremont post office was established on 15 September 1881 and was renamed on 26 June 1882 as Seawall post office (now in Southwest Harbor).
5. Gotts Island post office opened on 24 September 1902 and closed on 15 December 1927.
6. McKinley post office opened on 15 July 1897 and was reamed on 1 August 1966 as Bass Harbor post office, which is still operating.
7. Seal Cove post office opened on 25 February 1833, closed on 21 December 1841, re-opened on 7 May 1847, and is still operating.
8. Seaport post office operated from 16 May 1856 until 24 April 1860.
9. Tremont post office opened on 17 May 1849 and closed on 31 October 1928.
10. West Tremont post office opened on 15 March 1872 and closed on ?.


In 1914, there were seven post offices in Tremont: Bernard, Center, Gotts Island, McKinley, Seal Cove, Tremont, and West Tremont. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Tremont include:
Bass Harbor
Bassport
Bernard
Center
East Tremont
Gotts Island
McKinley
Seal Cove
Seaport
Tremont
West Tremont



Bass Harbor


1966 August 1:
   The former McKinley post office was renamed as Bass Harbor post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1991 October 7:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 17–18 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2017 November 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Bass Harbor post office is still in operation.


Bernard


1906 November 26:
   Bernard post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1915 November 22:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 13 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1932 December 19:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1950 March 20:
   The circular postmark is 32–35 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2017 November 22:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 22–23 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Bernard post office is still in operation.


Center


1884 February 11:
   Center post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1893 August 24:
   Spelling changed from Centre to Center. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1905 September 9 through 1907 December 25:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal double bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm.
         
      Click on image to enlarge.

1908 July 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1921 June 15:
   Center post office closed.


Gotts Island


1902 September 24:
   Gotts Island post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1904 July 11 through 1909 August:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. (image side of lower right card)
         
      Click on image to enlarge.

1914 August 3:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1927 November 25:
   Instructions for discontinuance of post office.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1927 December 15:
   Gotts Island post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


McKinley


1897 July 15:
   McKinley post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1906 August 7:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1909 September 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (image on other side of card)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1933 May 16:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1937 May 22:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm. (image side of card)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1949 December 2:
   The circular postmark is 31–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1950 August 2:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1966 August 2:
   McKinley post office was renamed as Bass Harbor post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Seal Cove


1833 February 25:
   Seal Cove post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1841 December 21:
   Seal Cove post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1847 May 7:
   Seal Cove post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1906 September 22 through 1907 September 17:
   The circular postmark is 27–29 mm in diameter. (image from other side of lower left card; image from other side of lower right card)
         
      Click on image to enlarge.

1909 December:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm. (image from other side)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1965 April 2:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1991 October 7:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1991 October 7:
   The outer circle of the postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter; the inner, approximately 19 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2017 November 22:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Seal Cove post office is still in operation.


Tremont


1849 May 17:
   Tremont post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1906 April 4 through 1909 April:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter. (image on reverse side of lower left card; image on reverse side of lower right card)
         
      Click on image to enlarge.

1906 August 11:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter. Note that the year is upside down.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1928 October 31:
   Tremont post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


West Tremont


1872 March 15:
   West Tremont post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1949 December 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1984 September 26:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

date?:
   West Tremont post office closed.