Sullivan Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 13 December 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Sullivan, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. East Sullivan post office operated from 12 May 1849 to 20 June 1975.
2. North Sullivan post office was established on 21 August 1897. It was renamed on 6 April 1993 as Sullivan (2) post office, which is still operating.
3. Sullivan (1) post office opened on 1 October 1794, closed on 15 June 1920, re-opened on 28 April 1922, and closed on 18 August 1972.
4. West Sullivan post office opened on 7 December 1848, closed on 7 January 1850, re-opened on 14 May 1877, and closed on 2 May 1992.


In 1914 there were four post offices in Sullivan: East Sullivan, North Sullivan, Sullivan (1), and West Sullivan. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)



Postmarks from the town of Sullivan include:
East Sullivan
North Sullivan
Sullivan (1)
Sullivan (2)
West Sullivan



East Sullivan


1849 May 12:
   East Sullivan post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1935 September 23:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1975 June 20:
   East Sullivan post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


North Sullivan


1897 August 21:
   North Sullivan post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1922 December 25:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1993 April 6:
   North Sullivan post office was renamed as Sullivan (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Sullivan (1)


1794 October 1:
   Sullivan (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1892 January 7:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. The diameter of the target cancelation is approximately 16 mm.
      
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1906 July 26:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal double-line bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm. (image side of card)
      
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1920 June 15:
   Sullivan (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1922 April 28:
   Sullivan (1) post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1972 August 18:
   Sullivan (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Sullivan (2)


1993 April 6:
   The former North Sullivan post office WAs renamed as Sullivan (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

2020:
   Sullivan (2) post office. 96 Taunton Drive; Sullivan, Maine  04664. Lat./Long.: N 44°31′57″ x W 68°14′12″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Sullivan (2) post office is still in operation.


West Sullivan


1848 December 7:
   West Sullivan post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1850 January 7:
   West Sullivan post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1877 May 14:
   West Sullivan post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1933 January 3:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1992 May 2:
   East Sullivan post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)