during the history of the town of Southwest Harbor, there have een three post offices.
Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Manset post office was established on 19 June 1893. It was renamed on 11 March 1966 to Manset Rur. Br. Southwest Harbor, and at a date to be determined, it was renamed as Manset CPO Southwest Harbor. It closed on 20 May 1995.
2. East Tremont post office (in Tremont) was renamed on 26 June 1882 as Seawall post office. Seawall post office closed on 14 January 1928, re-opened on 24 January 1928, and closed on 15 October 1928.
3. Southwest Harbor post office was established on 12 January 1827 and is still operating.
In 1914, there were three post offices in Southwest Harbor: Manset, Seawall, and Southwest Harbor. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Southwest Harbor include: