Sedgwick Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 10 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Sedgwick, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. North Sedgwick (1) was established on 3 January 1851. It was rename on 5 February 1851 as West Sedgwick, which closed on 9 March 1866.
2. North Sedgwick (2) operated from 5 January 1851 to 4 March 1943.

3. Sargentbille post office opened on 10 February 1855, closed on 10 January 1857, re-opened on 29 August 1861, and closed in late 2003.
4. Sedgwick post office was established on 25 September 1812 and is still operating.


In 1914 there were three post offices in Sedgwick: North Sedgwick (2), Sargentville, and Sedgwick. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)





Postmarks from the town of Sedgwick include:
North Sedgwick (1)
North Sedgwick (2)
Sargentville
Sedgwick
West Sedgwick



North Sedgwick (2)


1851 February 5:
   North Sedgwick (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1933 January 20:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1943 March 4:
   Sedgwick (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Sargentville


1855 February 10:
   Sargentville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1937 February 9:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1857 January 10:
   Sargentville post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1861 August 29:
   Sargentville post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1997 October 8:
   The oval postmark is 30–31 mm wide by approximately 35 mm high.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Sedgwick post office. This is the building for the Sargentville Post Office before it closed in late 2003. The Post Office was located under the porch to the very left at the door located next to the garage.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2003 late:
   Sargentville post office closed. (source: Sedgwick post office clerk)


Sedgwick


1812 September 25:
   Sedgwick post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1888 July 3:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1935 January 17:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1947 October 4:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter; the inner circle is 17–18 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1950 December 1:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1999 April 14:
   The circular postmark is 34–35 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are 15–16 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Sedgwick post office. 47 Reach Road; Sedgwick, Maine 04676. Lat./Long.: N 44°18′13″ x W 68°34′16″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Sedgwick post office is still in operation.