Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Penobscot, there have been five post offices.
Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. North Penobscot post office opened on 22 September 1836 and closed on 11 November 1851. It re-opened on 1 June 1853 and on 30 December 1966 was renamed as Noth Penobscot Rur. Sta. Penobscot, which closed on 31 July 1968.
2. Penobscot (3) post office opened on 28 December 1831, closed on 8 December 1832, re-opened on 27 February 1833 and is still in operation.
3. Penobscot Center post office opened on 7 June 1887 and closed on 11 August 1887.
4. South Penobscot post office was established on 24 February 1857. It was renamed on 25 April 1965 as South Penobscot Rur. Sta. Penobscot, which closed on 24 April 1974.
5. West Penobscot post office opened on 14 March 1879 and closed on 31 October 1908.
In 1914 there were three post offices in Penobscot: North Penobscot, Penobscot (3), and South Penobscot. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)
Postmarks from the town of Penobscot include:
North Penobscot Rur. Sta. Penobscot