Mariaville Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 13 June 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection and from Joanne from Vintage Maineia.



During the history of the town of Mariaville, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Mariaville (1) post office was established on 19 January 1833. It was renamed on 21 June 1851 as Tilden post office, whose name reverted to Mariaville (1) on 15 April 1910, which closed on 28 February 1914.
2. Mariaville (2) post office was established on 29 October 1892. It was renamed on 16 May 1904 as North Mariaville (2) post office, which closed on 31 December 1923.
3. North Mariaville (1) post office opened on 7 February 1854, closed on 1 March 1880, re-opened on 28 August 1880, and closed on 14 October 1891.


In 1914 there was only one post office in Mariaville: North Mariaville (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Mariaville include:
Mariaville (1)
Mariaville (2) North Mariaville (1) North Mariaville (2) Tilden



Mariaville (1)


1833 January 19:
   Mariaville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1851 June 21:
   Mariaville (1) post office was renamed as Tilden post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1910 April 15:
   Mariaville (1) post office resumed operation under its original name. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1911 February 4:
   The circular postmark is 31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1913 January 13:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1913 June 30:
   The circular postmark is 31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1914 February 28:
   Mariaville (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Tilden


1851 June 21:
   Mariaville (1) post office was renamed as Tilden post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? August 1:
   Manuscript postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1885 December 7 through 1909 September 3:
   The circular postmark is 26–28 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1910 April 15:
   The name of the Tlden post office reverted to Mariaville (1) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)