Lamoine Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 28 July 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Lamoine, there have been five post offices.

Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. The former Trenton Point post office (in Trenton) was renamed on 22 March 1870 as East Lamoine post office, which closed on 30 September 1902.
2, The former East Trenton post office (in Trenton) was renamed on 22 March 1870 as Lamoine post office, which closed on 30 September 1902.
3. Lamoine Beach post office opened on 9 November 1889 and closed on 30 September 1902.
4. Marlboro post office operated from 2 July 1888 until 28 February 1930.
5. North Lamoine post office opened on 2 February 1872 until 30 September 1902.


In 1914 there only one post office in Lamoine: Marlboro. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Lamoine include:
East Lamoine
Lamoine
Lamoine Beach
Marlboro
North Lamoine



Lamoine


1870 March 22:
   The former East Trenton post office was renamed as Lamoine post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1883 November 3: [year from received stamp on back]
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1887 September 30:
   The outer circle of the postmark has a diameter of 30 mm; the inner, 28 mm. The diameter of the cancelation, a violet-blue Maltese cross, is 19 mm
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1901 July 1:
   The circular postmark is 27 mm in diameter. The diameter of the target cancelation is 16 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1902 September 30:
   Lamoine post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Marlboro


1888 July 2:
   Marlboro post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1914 July 8:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1930 February 28:
   Marlboro post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


North Lamoine


1872 February 2:
   North Lamoine post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year?:
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1902 September 30:
   North Lamoine post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)