Hancock Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 5 June 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Hancock, there have been six post offices (seven if Hancock Point and Hancock Point CPO are separate).

Briefly, the history of these six (or seven) is as follows:
1. Crabtree’s Point post office was established on 8 March 1870. It was renamed on 2 May 1870 as South Hancock post office, which closed on 30 August 1929.
2. Hancock post office opened on 29 April 1828, closed on 28 September 1829, re-opened on 29 May 1830, and is still operating.
3. Hancock Point post office operated from 5 April 1883 to 19 May 1967.
4. Hancock Point CPO post office opened in 1967 and [current status unclear].
5. Mount Desert Ferry post office operated from 30 December 1884 to 17 December 1942.
6. North Hancock post office was established on 13 March 1844. It was renamed on 9 November 1927 as Franklin Road post office, which closed on 28 February 1930.
7. West Hancock post office operated from 21 June 1886 to 31 March 1907.


In 1914 there were five post offices in the town of Hancock: Hancock, Hancock Point, Mount Desert Ferry, North Hancock, and South hancock. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Hancock include:
Crabtree’s Point
Franklin Road
Hancock
Hancock Point
Hancock Point CPO
Mount Desert Ferry
North Hancock
South Hancock
West Hancock



Franklin Road


1927 November 9:
   The former North Hancock post office was renamed as Franklin Road post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1928 May 14:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1930 February 28:
   Franklin Road post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Hancock


1828 April 29:
   Hancock post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1829 September 28:
   Hancock post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1830 May 29:
   Hancock post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1888 March 21:
   The outer circle of the postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter; the inner, approximately 29 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1934 November 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2001 May 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 22 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Hancock post office. 1405 U. S. Route 1; Hancock, Maine  04640. Lat./Long.: N 44°31′44″ x W 68°15′24″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Hancock post office is still in operation.


Hancock Point


1883 April 5:
   Hancock Point post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1901 August 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1905 July 16:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical distance of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1912 August 14:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Discontinued Hancock Point post office. Believed to have been the second smallest post office in the U.S.; Lat./Long.: N 44°28′05″ x W 68°13′43″ (photo taken 2020).
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1967 May 19:
   Hancock Point post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Mount Desert Ferry


1884 December 30:
   Mount Desert Ferry post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1891 April 29:
   The circular postmark is 34–35 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1906 August 25:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1909 December 27:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1942 December 31:
   The circular postmark is 34–35 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1942 December 31:
   Mount Desert Ferry post office closed. (source: see cover above of same date)


North Hancock


1844 March 13:
   North Hancock post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1907 January 31:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 13 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1927 November 9:
   North Hancock post office was renamed as Franklin Road post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


South Hancock


1870 May 2:
   The former Crabtree’s Point post office was renamed as South Hancock post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1912 July 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 14 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1929 August 30:
   South Hancock post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)