Great Pond Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 11 September 2020)




During the history of the town of Great Pond, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this one is as follows:
1. Great Pond post office opened on 13 July 1852 and closed on 15 December 1943.


In 1914 there was one post office in Great Pond: Great Pond. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Great Pond include:
Great Pond



Great Pond


1852 July 13:
   Great Pond post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1880 April 1 through 1895:
   The circular postmark is 26–28 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)


1936 May 6:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1938 September 16:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1943 December 16:
   Great Pond post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)