Franklin Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04221
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 28 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Franklin, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. East Franklin operated from 14 November 1891 to 31 October 1956.
2. Egypt post office operated from 25 August 1884 to 31 December 1919.
3. Franklin post office opened on 26 February 1834, closed on 9 March 1836, re-opened on 15 May 1837, and is still operating.
4. West Franklin opened on 20 February 1890. Although The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide reported that the post office closed on 1 November 1956, a cover posted below shows otherwise, namely a closure on 31 October 1956.


In 1914 there were four post offices in Franklin: East Franklin, Egypt, Franklin, and West Franklin. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Franklin include:
East Franklin
Egypt
Franklin
West Franklin



East Franklin


1891 November 14:
   East Franklin post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1904 February 5:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter. The diameter of the target cancelation is 18 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1932 December 21:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1956 October 31:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle 20 mm. Note that this is the last day for the use of this postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1956 October 31:
   East Franklin post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Egypt


1884 August 25:
   Egypt post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1898 July 16:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter. The five horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 2 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1914 December 23:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1919 December 31:
   Egypt post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Franklin


1834 February 26:
   Franklin post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1836 March 9:
   Franklin post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1837 May 15:
   Franklin post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1849 June 4:
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1912 October 16:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 June 19:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1943 December 27:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1950 January 12 through 1950 December 2:
   The circular postmark is 33–35 mm in diameter. The four bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1959 August 1:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Franklin post office, 40 Backwoods Road; Franklin, Maine  04634. Lat./Long.: N 44°35′25″ x W 68°13′14″.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Franklin post office is still in operation.


West Franklin


1890 February 20:
   West Franklin post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1908 February 26:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1956 October 31:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18 mm. Note that this is the last day of use for this postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1956 October 31:
   West Franklin post office closed. Although The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide reported that the post office closed on 1 November 1956, the above cover shows otherwise.