Ellsworth Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 10 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the city of Ellsworth, there have been seven post offices.

Briefly, the history of these seven is as follows:
1. Bayside (1) post office operated from 7 January 1893 to 14 January 1902)
2. Ellsworth Falls post office opened on 28 January 1852, closed on 16 September 1867, re-opened on 22 April 1878, and closed on 9 May 1975.
3. Lakewood (1) post office operated from 12 May 1898 until 30 March 1918.
4. Nicolin post office opened on 17 August 1897 and closed on 15 November 1916.
5. North Ellsworth post office operated from 10 February 1836 until 15 June 1907.
6. Trenton (1) post office opened on 1 October 1794 and on 13 July 1803 was renamed as Ellsworth post office, which is still operating.
7. West Ellsworth post office operated from 4 May 1855 until 31 August 1905.


In 1914, there were four post offices in what is now the city of Ellsworth: Ellsworth, Ellsworth Falls, Lakewood (1), and Nicolin. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Ellsworth include:
Bayside (1)
Ellsworth
Ellsworth Falls
Lakewood (1)
Nicolin
North Ellsworth
Trenton (1)
West Ellsworth



Ellsworth


1803 July 13:
   The former Trenton (1) post office, which was established on 1 October 1794, was renamed on 13 July 1803 as Ellsworth post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1851 April 19:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (notation)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1866 July 9 through 1866 August 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1852:
   Postmaster: Moses Hale. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1932 May 10:
   The circular machine postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1938 April 7 through 1950 December 1:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the postmark is approximately 33 mm tall and 14–15 mm wide.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1939 December 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1944 July 10:
   The circular machine postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. The six wavy lines of the cancellation to the right of the postmark are approximately 3 mm apart on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2019 May 10:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 33 mm in diameter; the inner, 21 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Ellsworth post office is still in operation.


Ellsworth Falls


1852 January 28:
   Ellsworth Falls post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1867 September 16:
   Ellsworth Falls post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1878 April 22:
   Ellsworth Falls post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1915 May 24:
   The circular machine postmark is 29–31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

9 May 1975:
   Ellsworth Falls post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)