Deer Isle Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 4 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from Roland Simard and from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Deer Isle include:
Deer Isle
Dirigo (3)
Dirigo Island
Eagle (2)
Eggemoggin
Isle au Haut (1)
Isle au Haut (2)
Isle au Haut Rur. Sta. Stonington
Little Deer Isle
Mountainville
North Deer Isle
Reach
South Deer Isle
Sunset
Sunshine
West Deer Isle



Deer Isle


1820 June 16:
   Deer Isle post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: H. R. Haskell. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1903 March 17: [year determined from contents]
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      

1909 July 15:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 13 mm. (image side of card)
      

1917 May 31:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. To the right of the postmark is an elliptical cancellation, but not enough is present to provide any measurements here.
      

1940 January 3 through 1950 December 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the postmark is approximately 33 mm tall and is composed of four horizontal bars above and four below the encircled numeral.
         

1999 April 14:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter; the inner, approximately 19 mm.
      

today:
   Deer Isle post office is still in operation.


Little Deer Isle


1893 August 12:
   Little Deer Isle post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1966 August 18 through 1968 September 18
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
         

today:
   Little Deer Isle post office is still in operation.


Sunset


1886 July 20:
   Sunset post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1999 April 14
   The circular postmark is 33–35 mm in diameter.
      

today:
   Sunset post office is still in operation.


Sunshine


1892 June 15:
   Sunset post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1908 November 26
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      

1940 August 15:
   Sunshine post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)