Cranberry Isles Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 August 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Roland Simard, and the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Cranberry Isles, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Cranberry Isles post office was established on 9 May 1847 and is still operating.
2. Islesford post office was established on 15 August 1884 amd is still operating.
3. Sutton post office opened on 17 March 1898, closed on 1 January 1919, re-opened on 31 March 1919, and closed on 30 September 1947.


In 1914 there were three post offices in the town of Cranberry Isles: Cranberry Isles, Islesford, and Sutton. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Cranberry Isles include:
Cranberry Isles
Islesford
Sutton



Cranberry Isles


1847 May 9:
   Cranberry Isles post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1946 October 30:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the postmark is approximately 20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1956 May 14:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 20–21 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1970 October 24:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Cranberry Isles post office is still in operation.


Islesford


1884 August 15:
   Islesford post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1906 November 1 through 1907 December 22:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter. (image on other side of lower left card)
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1909 July 29:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal double-line bars to the right of the postmark is approximately 13 mm. (image side of card)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 January 24:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the postmark is 18–19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Islesford post office is still in operation.


Sutton


1898 March 17:
   Sutton post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1902 August 25:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The diameter of the bullseye cancelation is 16–17 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1909 October 14:
   The circular postmark is 31 mm in diameter. (image on reverse side of card)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1919 January 1:
   Sutton post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1919 March 31:
   Sutton post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1937 August 20 through 1946 September 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the postmark is 19–20 mm.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1940 August 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1947 September 30:
   Sutton post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

post closure: