Brooksville Postal History
Hancock County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 14 July 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Brooksville, there have been seven post offices (eight if the never-opened Bagaduce post office was in Brooksville).

Briefly, the history of these eight is as follows:
1. Bagaduce post office was theoretically opened on 14 July 1892 and closed on 12 April 1894, although its authorization was rescended.
2. Brooksville (1) post office operated from 23 August 1826 until 30 June 1961.
3. Cape Rosier post office was established on 24 August 1877 as Cape Rozier. The spelling was changed to Cape Rosier on 1 October 1924, and it closed on 30 June 1961.
4. Harborside post office opened on 31 March 1890, closed on 31 July 1890, re-opened on 7 April 1898, and closed on 13 July 1899. It re-opened on 14 June 1900 and is still in operation.
5. Herricks post oice operated from 18 June 1900 to 14 December 1929.
6. North Brooksville post office opened on 25 March 1862 and closed on 30 June 1961.
7; South Brooksville post office was established on 20 January 1856, and on 30 June 1961 was renamed as Brooksville (2) post office, which is still operating.
8. West Brooksville post office operated from 19 October 1841 to 30 June 1961.


In 1914 there were seven post offices in Brooksville: Brooksville (1), Cape Rozier, Harborside, Herricks, North Brooksville, South Brooksville, and West Brooksville. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)





Postmarks from the town of Brooksville include:
Brooksville (1)
Brooksville (2)
Cape Rosier
Harborside
Herricks
North Brooksville
South Brooksville
West Brooksville



Brooksville (1)

1826 August 23:
   Brooksville (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1948 August 30:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside height of the four horizontal horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

      (click on image to enlarge)

1961 June 30:
   Brooksville (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Brooksville (2)

1961 June 30:
   The former South Brooksville post office (established 1856 January 20) was renamed as Brooksville (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1965 August 14:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter. The outside height of the four horizontal horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

      (click on image to enlarge)

1972 June 30:
   Virginia L. Snow appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1973 January 20:
   Virginia L. Snow appointed Postmaster.

1985 February 22:
   Christine Carter appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1985 May 5:
   Emily W. (Norwood) Webb appointed Postmaster.

2004 April 29:
   Susan Perez appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2004 August 21:
   Debra J. McLaughlin appointed Postmaster.

2018 April 18:
   Doreen LaFerriere appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2013 October 5:
   Brooksville (2) post office converted to a Level 6 (6-hour) Remotely Managed Post Office under the direction of the Postmaster of the Deer Isle post office.

2014 June 14:
   Lynn A. Galusha appointed Postmaster.

2020:
   Brooksville (2) post office. 945 Coastal Road; Brooksville, Maine 04617. Lat./Long.: N 44°21′13″ x W 68°45′02″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Brooksville (2) post office is still in operation.


Cape Rosier

1877 August 24:
   Cape Rosier post office opened (as Cape Rozier). (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1924 October 1:
   The spelling was changed to Cape Rosier. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 December 6:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

      (click on image to enlarge)

1961 June 30:
   Cape Rosier post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Harborside

1890 March 31:
   Harborside post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1890 July 31:
   Harborside post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1898 April 7:
   Harborside post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1899 July 13:
   Harborside post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1900 June 14:
   Harborside post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1949 February 2:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Harborside post office is still in operation.


Herricks

1900 June 18:
   Herricks post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1910 August 17:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside height of the five horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm.
      

      (click on image to enlarge)

1929 December 14:
   Herricks post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


North Brooksville

1862 March 25:
   North Brooksville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1910 December 1:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 13 mm.
      

      (click on image to enlarge)

1917 August 1:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 13 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1936 October 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1961 June 30:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm. Note that this was the last day for this North Brooksville postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1961 June 30:
   North Brooksville post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


South Brooksville

1856 January 20:
   South Brooksville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1856 January 26:
   Rufus B. Walker appointed Postmaster.

1861 September 11:
   William L. Grindle appointed Postmaster.

1863 January 13:
   Stephen Grindle appointed Postmaster.

1863 December 24:
   James W. Coombs appointed Postmaster.

1868 January 24:
   Luther M. Bates appointed Postmaster.

1882 February 14:
   Eben C. Chatts appointed Postmaster.

1885 November 19:
   Samuel D. Coombs appointed Postmaster.

1890 January 28:
   Ralph H. Condon appointed Postmaster.

1894 March 23:
   Samuel D. Coombs appointed Postmaster.

1898 March 10:
   Ralph H. Condon appointed Postmaster.

1907 August 30:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. The diameter of the target cancelation is approximately 17 mm.
      

      (click on image to enlarge)

1915 March 4:
   Loring B. Coombs appointed Postmaster.

1915 July 27:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1932 January 18:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 October 1:
   Harriet N. Condon appointed Acting Postmaster.

1935 March 8:
   Harriet N. Condon appointed Postmaster.

1944 December 31:
   Vivian C. Ryan appointed Acting Postmaster.

1945 April 2:
   Vivian C. Ryan appointed Postmaster.

1961 June 30:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm. Note that this was the last day of use for this postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1961 June 30:
   South Brooksville post office was renamed as Brooksville (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


West Brooksville

1841 October 19:
   Cape Rosier post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1913 October 17:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

      (click on image to enlarge)

1961 June 30:
   The circular postmark is approximately 34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm. Note that this was the last day for the use of this postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1961 June 30:
   West Brooksville post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)