Hancock County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 21 February 2019)
Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Brooklin, there have been six post offices.
Briefly, the history of these six is as follows:
1. Flye Point post office operated from 19 November 1910 until 15 October 1921.
2. Haven post office, a summer office, opened on 12 May 1894, closed on 30 September 1918, re-opened on 4 June 1919, and closed on 31 May 1956.
3. Naskeag post office operated from 17 January 1893 until 30 epte,ber 1920.
4. North Brooklin post office operated from 6 March 1863 until 23 September 1992.
5. Sedgwick Bay post office was established on 21 March 1829 and was renamed on 16 October 1849 as Brooklin post office, which is still operating.:
6. West Brooklin post office operated from 16 June 1890 until 31 July 1942.
In 1914, there were six post offices in the town of Brooklin: Brooklin, Flye Point, Haven, Naskeag, North Brooklin, and West Brooklin. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Brooklin include:
1849 October 16:
The former Sedgwick Bay post office was renamed as Brooklin post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
Postmaster: Otis W. Herrick. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)
1897 July 30:
The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
1934 June 18 through 1938 May 9:
The circular postmark is 32–35 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the postmark are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
Brooklin post office is still in operation.