Hncock County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 10 January 2019)
During the history of the town of Amherst, there has been only one post office.
Briefly, the history of that one is as follows:
1. Amherst post office was established on 19 January 1833 and closed on 27 January 1967.
In 1914, there was only one post office in Amherst: Amherst. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Cllick on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Amherst include:
1833 January 19:
Amherst post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
Postmaster: George C. White. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)
1910 October 10:
The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are a little more than 4 mm apart on center.
1939 September 16:
The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
1967 January 27:
Amherst post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)