Wilton Postal History
Franklin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 22 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Wilton, there have been five post offices.

Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Dryden post office opened on 30 January 1899 and is still operating.
2. East Wilton post office opened on 29 February 1828 and is still operating.
3. North Wilton post office opened on 21 May 1838 and closed on 6 November 1865.
4. Notch post office opened on 20 November 1882 and closed on 31 January 1914.
5. Wilton post office opened on 13 January 1815 and is still in operation.


In 1914, there were three post offices in Wilton: Dryden, East Wilton, and Wilton. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Wilton include:
Dryden East Wilton North Wilton Notch Wilton



Dryden

1899 January 30:
   Dryden post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 May 11 through 1938 May 10:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1940 November 22 through 1950 June 26:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1964 April 21:
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1965: [year determined from nonpostal seals on reverse]
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Dryden post office is still in operation.


East Wilton

1828 February 29:
   East Wilton post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1932 July 4 through 1934 May 19:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1943 July 17:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 21 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1946 May 28 through 1950 January 7:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The four bars to the right of the circle are approximately 5.5 mm on center.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

today:
   East Wilton post office is still in operation.


Notch

1882 November 20:
   Notch post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1907 February:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1914 January 31:
   Notch post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Wilton

1815 January 13:
   Wilton post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1842 May 30:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1871 September 2:
   The outer circle of the postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter; the inner circle, approximately 20 mm in diameter. Postmark contains the name of the postmaster, C. E. Packard.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1885 April 8:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter; the inner circle, approximately 17 mm in diameter. Note that the year is upside down.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Wilton post office.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1939 December 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 May 27 through 1949 September 14:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1946 May 28:
   The circular postmark is 21–22 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1964 March 24:
   The outer circle of the postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The inner circle, 19–20 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1967 May 13
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The four lines to the right of the postmark are approximately 66 mm long and just under 6 mm on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Wilton post office is still in operation.