Strong Postal History
Franklin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 September 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Strong, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these six is as follows:
1. Porter’s Mills post office opened on 21 January 1828 and was renamed on 19 March 1831 as Strong (2) post office, which is still in operation.
2. Strong (1) post office opened on 14 January 1819 and closed on 19 October 1829.


In 1914, there was one post office in Strong: Strong (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Phillips include:
Porter’s Mills
Strong (1)
Strong (2)



Strong (2)

1831 March 19:
   The former Porter𔄩s Mills post office was renamed as Strong (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide).

year? June 12:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1834 June 13:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 8:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 January 11:
   Strong (2) post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Strong (2) post office. 136 North Main Street; Strong, Maine 04983. Lat./Long.: N 44°48′58″ x W 70°13′07″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Strong (2) post office is still in operation.