Stetsontown Township Postal History
Franklin County, Maine
a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine 04975
(updated 8 May 2021)
Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.
During the history of Stetsontown Township, there have been two post offices.
Briefly, the history of these two post offices is as follows:
1. Kennebago post office, a summer office, opened on 10 May 1913 and was renamed on 27 February 1915 as Grants post office.
2. The former Kennebago post office was renamed on 27 February 1915 as Grants post office, a summer office, which closed on 31 March 1954.
In 1914, there was one post office in what is now Stetsontown Township: Kennebago. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)
Postmarks from Stetsontown Townhip include:
1913 May 10:
Kennebago post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1914 June [?] through 1914 June 20:
The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
(click on an image to enlarge)
27 February 1915:
Kennebago post office was renamed as Grants post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)