Rangeley Postal History
Franklin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 13 May 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Roland Simard, and the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Rangeley, there have been 13 post offices.

Briefly the history of these 13 is as follows:
1. Bald Mountain post office, a summer office, was established on 9 April 1903. It operated until 30 April 1966 when it became Bald Mountain Rural Br. Oquossoc, this latter closing on 30 April 1968.
2. Barker was established on 9 April 1903 and closed on 10 November 1934.
3. Haines Landing operated from 21 June 1888 until 31 January 1935. It was re-established on 28 July 1936 as Mooselookmeguntic and operated until it was discontinued on 30 September 1947. It has been reported to have been discontinued as Haines Landing. Research is needed to clarify this.
4. Indian Rock was established on 1 September 1871 and closed on 31 August 1936.
5. Kennebago post office was established on 10 May 1913 and became Grants on 31 August 1914. Research is needed to determine when Grants was discontinued.
6. Kennebago Lake post office operated from 8 May 1879 until 31 March 1954.
7. Macy post office operated from 24 )ct0ber 1903 until 15 July 1910.
8. Mingo Springs was a summer office and operated from 6 November 1917 until 15 November 1934.
9. Mountainview was a summer office and operatd from 15 May 1896 until 19 June 1935.
10. Oquossoc post office was established on 17 December 1902 and is still in operation.
11. Rangeley post office was established on 3 January 1851 and is still in operation.
12. Richardson post office operated from 28 March 1882 until 7 October 1887.
13. South Rangeley post office was established on 3 February 1913, closed on 15 March 1914, re-opened on 24 May 1924, and closed on 15 January 1935.


In 1914, there were nine post offices in Rangeley: Bald Mountain, Barker, Haines Landing, Indian Rock, Kennebago, Kennebago Lake, Mountainview, Oquossoc, and Rangeley. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Rangeley include:
Bald Mountain
Bald Mountain Rural Br. Oquossoc
Barker
Haines Landing
Indian Rock
Kennebago
Kennebago Lake
Macy
Mingo Springs
Mooselookmeguntic
Oquossoc
Rangeley
Richardson
South Rangeley



Bald Mountain


1903 April 9:
   Bald Mountain post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1905 July 20:
   The circular postmark is 29 mm in diameter. The diameter of the target cancellation is 18 mm. The received postmark is 30 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 August 29:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1966 April 30:
   Bald Mountain post office became Bald Mountain Rural Br. Oquossoc. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Barker


1903 April 11:
   Barker post office opened as a summer office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1911 September 18:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 November 10:
   Barker post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Indian Rock


1871 September 1:
   Indian Rock post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1936 August 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. This cover was cancelled less than one month before the post office closed.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1936 August 31:
   Indian Rock post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Macy


1903 October 24:
   Macy post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1906 February 20:
   The circular postmark is 29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1907 January 18:
   The circular postmark is 28 mm in diameter. Cancellation is a Doane 2/1.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1910 July 15:
   Macy post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Mingo Springs


1917 November 6:
   Mingo Springs post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1930 August 27:
   The circular postmark is 33 mm in diameter. The cancellation is a four-bar B killer.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1932 July 24:
   The circular postmark is 32.5 mm in diameter. The cancellation is a four-bar B killer.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 September 3:
   The circular postmark is 33 mm in diameter. The cancellation is a four-bar B killer.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1934 November 15:
   Mingo Springs post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Mooselookmeguntic


1936 July 28:
   Mooselookmeguntic post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1937 September 8:
   The circular postmark is 33 mm in diameter. THe outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1947 September 30:
   Mooselookmeguntic post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Oquossoc


1902 December 17:
   Oquossoc post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

2020:
   Oquossoc post office. 92 Carry Road; Oquossoc, Maine 04984. Lat./Long.: N 44°57′26″ x W 70°38′36″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Oquossoc post office is still in operation.


Rangeley


1851 January 3:
   Rangeley post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1852:
   Postmaster: John Haley

1939 December 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020:
   Rangeley post office. 2517 Main Street; Rangeley, Maine 04970. Lat./Long.: N 44°57′54″ x W 70°38′36″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Rangeley post office is still in operation.