Jay Postal History
Franklin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 5 May 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to the page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Jay include:
Bean
Beans Corner
Bean’s Corners
Chisholm
Jay
Jay Bridge
Jay Point
North Jay
North Jay Sta. Jay
North Jay CPO Jay
Riley



Bean

1895 February 16:
   The former Bean’s Corner post office was renamed as Bean post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1896 November 6 through 1898 September 19:
   The circular postmark is 24–27 mm in diameter. Both covers below were mailed to Bean, Maine, and were backstamped Bean upon arrival.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1900 April 30:
   Bean post office renamed as Bean’s Corner[s?] post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Beans Corner

1900 April 30:
   The former Bean post office was renamed as Beans Corner post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1901 July 26:
   The circular postmark is 28.5 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1903 July 21:
   Beans Corner post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Chisholm

1897 May 26:
   Chisholm post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1905 January 13:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1933 September 27:
   The circular postmark is approximately 23 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 12:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1974 May 17:
   Chisholm post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Jay

1815 January 1:
   Jay post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1849 December 4:
   Jay post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1853 April 11:
   Jay post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
   Jay post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1932 December:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 6:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1957 July 18:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Jay post office is still in operation.


North Jay

1850 January 9:
   North Jay post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1932 October 10:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   North Jay post office is still in operation.


Riley

1897 May 5:
   Riley post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1938 October 24:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1958 November 30:
   Riley post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)