Dallas Plantation Postal History
Franklin County, Maine
a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine 04975
(updated 24 May 2021)
Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.
During the history of Dallas Plantation, there have been three post offices.
Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Dallas post office opened on 5 January 1910 and closed on 15 June 1926.
2. Loon Lake post office opened on 14 September 1915 and closed on 15 November 1934.
3. Saddleback post office opened on 4 August 1916 and closed on 15 November 1929.
In 1914, there was one post office in Dallas Plantation: Dallas. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
(click on image to enlarge)
Postmarks from Dallas Plantation include:
1916 August 4:
Saddleback post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)
1924 August 7:
The circular postmark is 32 mm in diameter. The cancellation is a four-bar (B) killer.
1928 July 16:
The circular postmark is 33 mm in diameter.
1929 November 15:
Saddleback post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)