Carthage Postal History
Franklin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 11 January 2021)




During the history of the town of Carthage, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these six is as follows:
1. Carthage (1) post office opened on 31 March 1828, and on 3 MAY 1862 was renamed as Berry Mills post office, which cloed on 28 February 1938.
2. Carthage (2) post office opened on 7 December 1892, closed on 15 June 1901, re-opened on 14 October 1901, closed on 14 January 1914, re-opened on 8 August 1914, and closed on 31 July 1931.
3. South Carthage post office opened on 30 June 1851m closed on 22 January 1855, re-opened on 13 March 1862, and closed on 31 May 1908.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Carthage: Berry Mills and Carthage (2). (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Carthage include:
Berry Mills
Carthage (1)
Carthage (2)
South Carthage



Berry Mills

1862 May 3:
   Berry Mills post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1930 September 16:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1938 February 28:
   Berry Mills post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)