Carrabassett Valley Postal History
Franklin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 28 May 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Carrabassett Valley, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these post office is as follows:
1. Bigelow post offices opened on 4 August 1900 and closed on 31 July 1911.
2. Carrabassett post office operated from 28 November 1894 to 15 September 1903; and again from 2 February 1924 to 15 April 1937.

In 1914, there was no post office in what is now the town of Carrabassett Valley. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Carrabassett Valley include:
Bigelow
Carrabassett



Bigelow

4 August 1900:
   Bigelow post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1905 October 30:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      

1911 July 31:
   Bigelow post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)