Avon Postal History
Franklin County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 4 February 2021)




During the history of the town of Avon, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this post office is as follows:
1. Avon post office was established on 8 January 1819 and closed on 10 September 1874. It re-opened on 15 September 1874 and closed on 27 May 1875.


In 1914, there was no post office in the town of Avon. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Avon include:
Avon



Avon

1819 January 8:
   Avon post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1819 January 8:
   Elijah Clark appointed Postmaster.

1835 December 22:
   James E. Bates appointed Postmaster.

1841 Mqy 3:
   Daniel Towle appointed Postmaster.

1850 January 28:
   Electa M. Towle appointed Postmaster.

1857 November 11:
   Daniel Towle appointed Postmaster.

1874 September 10:
   Avon post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1874 September 15:
   Avon post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1874 September 15:
   James Badger appointed Postmaster.

1875 May 27:
   Avon post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)