Yarmouth Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 18 August 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Roland Simard, and the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Yarmouth include:
Cousins Island
Littlejohn Island
North Yarmouth (1)
North Yarmouth (2)
North Yarmouth (3)
Upper Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Yarmouthville



Cousins Island


1885 February 6:
   Cousins Island post office, a summer office, opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1914 August 27:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1958 October 31:
   Cousins Island post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Littlejohn Island


1910 June 29:
   Littlejohn Island post office, a summer office, opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1914 July 16:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1958 October 31:
   Littlejohn Island post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


North Yarmouth (1)


1792 June 12:
   North Yarmouth (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1846 December 9:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1846 December 14:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1848 May 1:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1848 June 29:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1849 August 19:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1850 April 17:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

year March 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1852 January 22:
   North Yarmouth (1) post office was renamed as Yarmouth post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Yarmouth


1852 January 22:
   The former North Yarmouth (1) post office was renamed as Yarmouth post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1939 December 4:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1950 August 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Yarmouth post office is still in operation.