Windham Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - 183 Pleasant Street, Apartment 1 - Canton, Maine  04221
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 14 February 2017)


Postmarks from the town of Windham include:
East Windham
Newhall
North Windham
South Windham
South Windham Sta. Windham
Windham (1)
Windham (2)
Windham Centre (1)
Windham Center (2)



North Windham


1833 May 11:
   North Windham post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 July 11:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      

1985 September 28:
   North Windham post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


South Windham


1828 March 11:
   South Windham post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 June 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      

1938 August 27 through 1950 September 29:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. Note that the 1938 of the first cover is upside down.
         

1985 September 28:
   South Windham post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Windham Center (2)


1872 August 30:
   Windham Center (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1889 March 12 through 1889 June 12:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
         

1891 November 23
   It appears that the postmark was originally circular but later became distorted.
      

1906 April 14:
   Windham Center (2) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)