Sebago Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 16 April 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Sebago include:
Convene
Douglas Hill
East Sebago
Hillside
NorthSebago
North Sebago Rur. Sta Sebago
North Sebago CPO East Sebago
Sandy Beach
Sebago
Webrowe
West Sebago



Convene


1892 November 18:
   Convene post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 September 18:
   The four horizontal bars at the right of the “circle” are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

1955 June 30:
   Convene post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Douglas Hill


1902 February 17:
   Douglas Hill post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 September 18:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
      

1965 June 3:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      

1972 January 28:
   Douglas Hill post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


East Sebago


1876 January 15:
   East Sebago post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1937 June 19:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
      

1948 August 11:
   The four horizontal bars at the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

1965 February 4:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bsrs to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

today:
   East Sebago post office is still in operation.


Hillside


1897 July 17:
   Hillside post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1937 December 13 through 1948 November 1:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
         

1955 July 1:
   Hillside post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


North Sebago


1884 May 8:
   North Sebago post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 September 18:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the “circle” are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

1964 May 8:
   North Sebago post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Sebago


1829 January 5:
   Sebago post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

year? June 5:
   Manuscript postmark.
      

1940 April 2:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars at the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
      

1940 April 30:
   Sebago post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)