Naples Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 2 May 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Naples, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Edes Falls post office operated from 8 January 1852 to 30 April 1906.
2. The former South Otisfield (1) post office was renamed on 8 April 1834 as Naples post office, which is still in operation.
3. South Naples post office operated from 12 January 1893 to 31 March 1912.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Naples: Naples. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Naples include:
Edes Falls
Naples
South Naples



Edes Falls


1852 January 8:
   Edes Falls post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1879 February 18:
   The circular postmark is 24 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1906 April 30:
   Edes Falls post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Naples


1834 April 8:
   Naples post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   Naples post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1934 May 26:
   The circular postmarks at the left is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)


1934 May 26 through 1957 December 20:
   The circular postmark is 22–23 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)


today:
   Naples post office is still in operation.