Gray Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Canton, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 19 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Gray, there have been five post offices.

Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Dry ills post office opened on 15 February 1865, and on 31 December 1960 was renamed as Dry Mills Rur. Sta., which closed on 31 March 1964.
2. East Gray post office opened on 7 April 1886 and closed on 30 June 1931.
3. Gray post office opened on 9 March 1795 and is still in operation.
4. North Gray post office opened on 3 March 1854, closed on 4 January 1858, re-opened on 3 February 1858, and closed on 15 August 1906.
5. West Gray post office opened on 18 March 1874 and closed on 31 May 1908.


In 1914, there were three post offices in Gray: Dry Mills, East Gray, and Gray. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Gray include:
Dry Mills
Dry Mills Rur. Sta.
East Gray
Gray
North Gray
West Gray



Dry Mills


1865 February 15:
   Dry Mills post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

date?:
   Dry Mills post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1935 September 3 through 1957 December 19:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

date?:
   Dry Mills post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1960 December 31:
   Dry Mills post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


East Gray


1886 April 7:
   East Gray post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1904 August 25:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1931 June 30:
   East Gray post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Gray


1795 March 9:
   Gray post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852 September 10:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1886 January 8:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Gray post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 4:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1946 December 19 through 1947 August 11:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1949 June 17 through 1950 May 23:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
            
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1953 December 21:
   The circular postmark is approximately 20 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   The rectangular postmark is approximately 38 mm wide by 16–17 mm high.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Gray post office is still in operation.