Freeport Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 12 December 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Freeport include:
Bustins Island
Bustins Island Rur. Br. South Freeport
Bustins Island CPO South Freeport
Freeport
Seeket
South Freeport



Freeport


1796 August 1:
   Freeport post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? May 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      

year? May 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2])
      

1830January 12:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      

1840? May 25:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. (letter)
      

1840 August 3:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (notation; letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      

1841 August 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (notation; letter [page 1, top], letter [page 1, bottom]; letter [page 2, top], letter [page 2, bottom]; letter [page 3])
      

1849 June 18:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (letter)
      

1855 December 18:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (letter [page 1], letter [page 2], letter [page 3])
      

1879 March 1: [year determined from contents]
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
      

year? May 1:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      

1894 March 30 through 1894 April 5:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
         

1932 December 30 through 1946 February 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 20 mm in diameter.
         

date?:
   Freeport post office.
      

1941 May 12:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      

today:
   Freeport post office is still in operation.



South Freeport


1854 June 17:
   South Freeport post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1854 December 11:
   South Freeport post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1856 March 22:
   South Freeport post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1913 July 21:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 12󈝹 mm. (image side of card)
      

1934 June 13:
   The circular postmark is 30–32 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      

1939 November 25:
   The circular postmark is 30–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1949 December 23:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      

today:
   South Freeport post office is still in operation.