Brunswick Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 2 January 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Roland Simard, and the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Brunswick include:
Brunswick
Brunswick Maine Navy 10082 Sta.
Brunswick University Br.
Bunganuc
Harding
Merepoint
Merepoint Rur. Br. Brunswick
Naval Air Sta. MOU
Oak Hill Station
West Brunswick



Brunswick


1792 June 30:
   Brunswick post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1851 October 23: [year determined from contents] (notation; letter)
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1852:
   Postmaster: John McKeen (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1859 April 30:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. Note: this cover was mailed to the mother of Joshua L. Chamberlain, who later became a general of note during the Civil War.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

year? July 12:
   The circular postmark is 24–25 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

year? January 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 26 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1890 April: [This cover is backstamped 1890 April 2]
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1892 December 19:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1896 November 5:
   The circular postmark is 24–25 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1907 March 29:
   The circular postmark is 23–24 mm in diameter. The vertical bars to the right of the circle are approximately 4.5 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1911 January 12:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?:
   Brunswick post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 October 9 through 1949 December 29:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1939 October 7 through 1950 July 12:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

2019 May 20:
   The postmark, which was applied at the Town Hall, is 63 mm high and 70 mm wide.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Brunswick post office is still in operation.



Merepoint


1895 May 11:
   Merepoint post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1913 July 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are a little more than 4 mm on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1967 May 19:
   Merepoint post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)