Bridgton Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 2 December 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Bridgton, there have been six post offices.

Briefly, the history of these six is as follows:
1. Bridgton post office opened on 8 September 1800 and is still operating.
2. Bridgton Valley post office opened on 13 April 1883 and closed on 26 July 1888.
3. North Bridgton post office opened on 26 January 1821 and is still operating.
4. Sandy Creek post office opened on 14 March 1879 and closed on 30 November 1927.
5. South Bridgton post office opened on 5 January 1829 and closed on 30 June 1955.
6. West Bridgton post office opened on 31 March 1852, closed on 10 October 1887, re-opened on 21 March 1888, and closed on 30 September 1901.


In 1914, there were four post offices in Bridgton: Brisgton, North Bridgton, Sandy Creek, and South Bridgton. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Bridgton include:
Bridgton
Bridgton Valley
North Bridgton
Sandy Creek
South Bridgton
West Bridgton



Bridgton


1800 September 8:
   Bridgton post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1893 November 9 through 1898 June 6:
   The circular postmark is 27–29 mm in diameter.
         

1908 June 6:
   The circular postmark is 27–29 mm in diameter.
      

1931 March 25:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      

1938 March 16 through 1946 October 23:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
         

1939 December 7:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      

today:
   Bridgton post office is still in operation.



North Bridgton


1821 January 26:
   North Bridgton post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1938 November 9 through 1940 November 13:
   The circular postmark is 32– 34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
         


South Bridgton


1829 January 5:
   South Bridgton post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 August 9 through 1945 October 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
         

1955 June 30:
   South Bridgton post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)