Baldwin Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 29 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Baldwin, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Baldwin post office opened on 11 March 1811 and closed on 29 July 1833.
2. East Baldwin post office opened on 18 March 1828 and is still operating.
3. North Baldwin post office opened on 1 February 1859 and closed on 30 June 1955.
4. West Baldwin post office opened on 23 January 1834 and is still operating.


In 1914, there were three post offices in Baldwin: East Baldwin, North Baldwin, and West Baldwin. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from the town of Baldwin include:
Baldwin
East Baldwin
North Baldwin
West Baldwin



East Baldwin


1828 March 18:
   East Baldwin post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

year? June 17:
   Manuscript postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1887 November 25:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1935 July 11:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1948 August 13:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1952 October 21:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1964 December 28 through 1965 January 28:
   The circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1965 March 15 through 1965 June 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

today:
   East Baldwin post office is still in operation.



North Baldwin


1859 February 1:
   North Baldwin post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1932 January 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1955 June 30:
   North Baldwin post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


West Baldwin


1834 January 23:
   West Baldwin post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1939 December 7 through 1948 August 13:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

today:
   West Baldwin post office is still in operation.