Washburn Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 26 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Washburn, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Crouseville post office opened on 25 July 1896 and is still operating.
2. East Washburn post office opened on 5 August 1874 and closed on 22 January 1895.
3. Salmon Brook post office opened on 24 March 1854 and on 25 November 1879 was renamed as Washburn post office, which is still operating.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Washburn: Crouseville and Washburn. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Washburn include:
Crouseville East Washburn
Salmon Brok
Washburn



Crouseville


1896 July 25:
   Crouseville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1938 November 28 through 1945 June 4:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1965 March 2:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Crouseville post office is still in operation.


Washburn


1879 November 25:
   Washburn post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1950 August 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Washburn post office is still in operation.