Wallagrass Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 30 April 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson.



During the history of the town of Wallagrass, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Michaud post office opened on 25 April 1905, closed on 15 August 1907, re-opened on 7 January 1909, and closed on 15 July 1935.
2. Soldier Pond post office opened on 28 November 1904 and is still operating.
3. Wallagrass post office opened on 29 December 1886, closed on 30 June 1913, re-opened on 15 July 1916, and closed on 31 January 1917.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Wallagrass: Michaud and Soldier Pond. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)





Postmarks from Wallagrass include:
Michaud Soldier Pond Wallagrass



Michaud


1905 April 25:
   Michaud post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1906 October 13:
   The circular postmark is 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1907 August 15:
   Michaud post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1909 January 7:
   Michaud post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1935 July 15:
   Michaud post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Soldier Pond


1904 November 28:
   Soldier Pond post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1968 July 16:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Soldier Pond post office is still in operation.