Van Buren Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 18 November 2020)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Van Buren, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Keegan post office opened on 5 August 1907 and closed on 15 October 1971.
2. Upper Van Buren post office opened on 10 May 1875 and closed on 1 May 1877.
3. Van Buren post office opened on 11 November 1851 and is still operating.
4. West Van Buren post office opened on 11 November 1851, an on 13 June 1859 was renamed as Grand Isle post office.


In 1914, there were two post offices in Van Buren: Keegan and Van Buren. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Van Buren include:
Keegan Upper Van Buren
Van Buren West Van Buren



Keegan


1907 August 5:
   Keegan post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1939 December 12:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1950 February 14:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1971 October 15:
   Keegan post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Van Buren


1851 November 11:
   Van Buren post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1939 December 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 25 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Van Buren post office is still in operation.