T8 R5 WELS Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 21 July 2021)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from Al Tieman.



During the history of T5 R8 WELS, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this one is as follows:
1. Umcolcus post office opened on 25 January 1844, closed on 19 February 1855, re-opened on 17 April 1855, and closed on 29 May 1856.

In 1914, there was no post office in T8 R5 WELS: Umcolcus. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from T8 R5 WELS include:
Umcolcus



Umcolcus


1844 January 25:
   Umcolcus post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1848 November 4:
   Manuscript postmark.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1855 February 19:
   Umcolcus post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1855 April 17:
   Umcolcus post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1856 May 29:
   Umcolcus post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)