T1 R5 WELS Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 20 July 2021)




During the history of T1 R5 WELS, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Number One post office opened on 7 September 1839 and closed on 11 May 1842.
2. Rawson post office opened on 21 June 1853, closed on 26 July 1872, re-opened on 19 May 1906, and closed on 27 February 1909.


In 1914, there was no post office in T1 R5 WELS. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from T1 R5 WELS include:
Number One
Rawson



Number One


1839 September 7:
   Number One post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1842 May 11:
   Number One post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Rawson


1853 June 21:
   Rawson post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1872 July 26:
   Rawson post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1906 May 19:
   Rawson post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1909 February 27:
   Rawson post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)