Oxbow Plantation Postal History
Aroostook County, Maine

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 111 - Shawmut, Maine  04975
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 1 April 2021)




During the history of Oxbow Plantation, there has been only one post office.

Briefly, the history of this one is as follows:
1. Oxbow post office opened on 9 July 1890, closed on 16 December 1896, re-opened on 29 January 1897, and is still operating.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Oxbow Plantation: Oxbow. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      (click on image to enlarge)




Postmarks from Oxbow Plantation include:
Oxbow



Oxbow


1890 July 9:
   Oxbow post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1896 December 16:
   Oxbow post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1897 January 29:
   Oxbow post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1917 May 2:
   William T. Libby appointed Acting Postmaster.

1917 June 30:
   Myrtie M. Currier appointed Postmaster.

1950 December 2:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1956 November 30:
   Jeanette C. Currier appointed Acting Postmaster.

1957 January 25:
   Jeanette C. Currier appointed Postmaster.

1977 June 24:
   Audrey L. Currier appointed Officer-in-Charge.

1978 February 25:
   Audrey L. Currier appointed Postmaster.

2010 September 3:
   Ann Currier appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2010 September 10:
   Todd Condon appointed Officer-in-Charge.

2011 January 19:
   Oxbow post office suspended service.

2013 March 9:
   Oxbow post office discontinued/closed.